About Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Medical University (King Georges Medical University)
The College was completed and the work of the first medical session was started in October 1911, though the ceremonial opening of the college building by His Honour Sir John Prescot Hewett did not occur until January 27, 1912. The College buildings consisted of a fine Administrative Block, an Anatomical block, a combined Pathological and Physiological block and a Medico-Legal Department. As soon as the College was completed the construction of the Hospital itself was commenced. The work for Out-patient Department was finished by. April 1913 and the main-building a few months later.
The number of beds provided was 232 and besides the main Hospital block there were an Isolation Block and separated Cottage wards. The formal opening of King George's Hospital with the opening of the New Bridge over the river Gomti River opposite the Hospital was performed in January 1914 by His Excellency the Viceroy Lord Hardinge; the Bridge took the place of an ancient bridge built by King Asaf-ud-Daulah in 1780 and which was only demolished as late as 1911-12.
King George's Medical University is situated in the heart of the historic city of Lucknow which is the capital of India 's most populous state Uttar Pradesh. Lucknow lies about 500 km east of Delhi . The city was the seat of the Nawabs of Awadh in the 19 th century and a centre for the arts - music, painting, dance, 'shatranj' or chess, kite flying and 'tehzeeb' or culture. The university campus adjoins the crowded 'Chowk' area and is off Shahmina Road , very close to the bank of River Gomti